CONTACT: Veda Banerjee, 415-999-8332, firstname.lastname@example.org
SACRAMENTO, CA – Mike Young, Political and Organizing Director of California Environmental Voters (EnviroVoters), released the following statement in response to Governor Gavin Newsom signing a number of EnviroVoters priority climate action bills today, which include:
• AB 1279 (Muratsuchi) commits California to achieve carbon neutrality ASAP but no later than 2045
- • AB 1757 (C. Garcia and R. Rivas) sets targets for the removal of carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere through carbon sequestration on California’s natural and working lands
- • SB 1020 (Laird) requires renewable energy and zero-carbon resources to supply 90% of the state’s energy sales by 2035 and 95% by 2040 along with requiring all state agencies to rely on 100% renewable energy and zero-carbon resources by 2030
- • SB 1137 (Gonzalez and Limόn) prohibits oil and gas drilling within 3,200 feet of homes, daycares, schools, hospitals, and other sensitive sites
- • SB 1314 (Limόn) prohibits the use of captured carbon for “enhanced oil recovery,” which uses carbon to drill for oil masked as “climate action.”
“Climate activists across California are celebrating because today’s signatures will improve our quality of life and solidify California’s place at the forefront of climate action. The road getting here has been long but these victories over corporate polluters like Big Oil make it all worthwhile.
“Ending oil drilling in our neighborhoods and accelerating action towards carbon neutrality, and harnessing our natural and working lands for climate resilience are enormous breakthroughs. None would have been possible without dedicated climate and justice champions who emboldened our leaders to stand up to special interests, show their climate courage, and fight for us.
“We are creating the roadmap away from a throwaway economy built on the exploitation of fossil-fuels. Real solutions are in reach for others to follow and solve the climate crisis while building a more just society. We must continue acting at this scale every year and show the world what’s possible before our window of time runs out at the end of this decade. Otherwise, Californians’ health, safety, and livelihoods are at risk from more frequent and destructive heat waves, drought, pollution, and extreme wildfires. There will be no second chances to save California and we are in it to win it.”
ABOUT CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL VOTERS
California Environmental Voters (formerly the California League of Conservation Voters) believes the climate crisis is here and this moment requires transformative change. California has the policy solutions to stop climate change but lacks the political will to do it at the rate and scale that’s necessary. EnviroVoters exists to build the political power to solve the climate crisis, advance justice, and create a roadmap for global action. We organize voters, elect and train candidates, and hold lawmakers accountable for bold policy change. We won’t stop until we have resilient, healthy, thriving communities, and a democracy and economy that is just and sustainable for all. Join us at www.envirovoters.org and on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. See more press releases.